Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] From Peru
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 06:00:29 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Jorge Lingan <jorge_lingan@hotmail.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 3:19 PM
Subject: [aroid-l] From Peru

Dear Jorge,

Welcome!   I`m certain that you will enjoy this list, and hopefully you will
be able to obtain all the Aroideana back-issues that you desire.
The person on this list with the most information to be able to answer your
querry re: the Philodendron question is Dr. Thomas Croat of the Missouri
Bot. Garden, I`m sure that you are familiar with him.    He is presently on
a collecting journey to Amazonian Ecuador and due back in the USA sometime
in late Sept., so perhaps you might re-post your question at that time??
Thanks for the local names for the 'malangas' of Peru, there are several
species used as food.     Another native name I like is the Mayan ( ? )
'que-ques-qe' of S. Mexico and Central America.     It is certainly a good
substitute for potatoes in many cusines!
I hope the list hears a LOT more from you and about the Peruvian aroids you
encounter!    Do you have any information on any aroids that occur in the
quebradas in the Talara area of N. coastal Peru?   I lived and worked there
for a couple of years, and ther were some areas that could support some
aroid genera in these canyons, especially along the coast driving towards
Punta Sal and Tumbes.

Julius Boos.
WPB,
FLORIDA
USA

>>Hi everybody in the list, let me introduce, my name is Jorge Lingán and
I'm
very interested in the Araceae family.  Actually I'm working my thesis
project to know the Araceae of Parque Nacional Yanachaga-Chemillen
(Pasco-Peru), with some annotations about  pollinators of these impressive
plants.
I was at the peruvian forest (Tambopata-Madre de Dios), in the begining of
this year and I had collected samples of this family.  I'm almost finishing
my field report and I have a doubt with a synonymy matter...is Philodendron
krukovii Gleason synonym of Philodendron chanchamayense Engler?
I have another question, maybe you could help me, I'd like to suscribe to
the Aroideana magazine but I don't have a credit card, I considered using a
friend card, but the subscription would be sent to his address and to his
name and not mine, is there any  other option? is it possible to send cash
money?  I'm very interested in Aroideana subscription I've read some
articles and they're very interesting.
Congratulations for all the list contributors, I'm learning a lot with the
discussions.  I've to tell you that here in Peru the "malanga" is known as
"pituca" or "unkucha", depending if it's in the northern or southern (Cusco)
region of Perú respectively. They are really two or three Xanthosoma
species, I'm not sure ... but it is delicious! and I think it is a good
substitute of potato.
Congratulations once again and thanks for your contributions.
Kind regards for each.

Jorge Lingan
Departamento de Gimnospermas y Monocotiledoneas
Museo de Historia Natural "Javier Prado" - UNMSM

MSN. Más Útil cada Día. http://www.msn.es/intmap/