Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] From Peru
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:19:05 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Jorge Lingan <jorge_lingan@hotmail.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 10:33 PM

Hola Jorge,

I`m sure that Dr. Croat will be in contact once he returns and is settled
after his long collecting/study trip to Amazonian Ecuador!

Talara is in a very dry region, the only place where one may expect to find
residual populations of any aroids would be in the quebradas to the North of
Talara.    They occur mainly along the coast, there is a large one just N.
of Los Organos which I used to be able to drive up, I believe it led to a
border post with Ecuador when I lived in Talara, I don`t know if the road is
still open.     There where some water sources and seeps in this area, and a
population of white-tailed deer and even pumas, a friend of mine bought a
kitten from a resident in this quebrada.   There are aroids along the rivers
near Tumbes also.    If you know of anyone who may be visiting and
collecting in the Tunmbes area in the future please let me know, there is a
Xanthosoma species (wild/silvestre) that we really would like re-collected
when in in bloom, or collected and grown till it blooms, the dry specimen is
a leaf and an infructesence only.    I can obtain collecting data for you in
the near future.

Keep writing!

>>Hi Julius :
Thanks very much for your welcome, I'm contacting Dr. Thomas Croat,
approximately a year ago, I think he's the one who can help me, I'll wait
for his return from Ecuador.
I don't have any information about aroids in that region, I'll try to look
for some information, as you know this place, can you give me an idea of how
it looks like? here in Perú is not too easy to travel because it's expensive
and I have not too much time because I'll be working until December.
Best regards

MSN Fotos: la forma más fácil de compartir e imprimir fotos.