Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

Dear Dr. Barton : Thanks for your interest in my investigation, I must comment you that I'm just beginning my work, in this time I'm gathering all the data to start my investigation.
What I know about this issue is something very general now, I have the idea that Araceae are pollinated by euglossine bees, trigonid bees, beetles (Curculionidae, Nitudilidae, Scarabaeidae, Scydmaenidae, Staphylinidae) and flies (Drosophilidae).
I brought from my last trip specimens of Anthurium gracile, a species that flowered and fructified at my home ... I live in the other side of the Cordillera de los Andes from where it natural habitat is. Besides
I have another species of Xanthosoma, (not determined yet) whose first flowering didn't fructify... I hope this time it does (it will blossom). I think there could be another insects to pollinize it, at least the species that are pollinated by flies or bees... some cosmopolite species and maybe they could be replaced by other species, while the pollinized by beetles or other insects not well distributed is more difficult. I wait your comments in this matter.
Truly yours.
Jorge Lingan

MSN Fotos: la forma más fácil de compartir e imprimir fotos. http://photos.msn.es/support/worldwide.aspx