Re: [aroid-l] Help with ID

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Help with ID
  • From: "Eugene Hoh" hohe@symphony.net.au
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:15:46 +1000

Hello all,

[just thought I should finally contribute something after being on
Aroid-L for ages!]

The plant in Don's hand looks a lot like an Anthurium I used to grow -
A. polyschistum. As a young plant it has a thin, flexible vining stem
with long internodes, almost like some Syngoniums or Monsteras in
texture, and quite unlike other Anthuriums I've seen in cultivation. The
leaves are also quite soft and thin (and beloved of two-spotted
mites...). Not being an Anthurium expert I'm not certain about my
suggested ID, but I hope it's on the right track.

There are couple of pix of a nice plant of A. polyschistum in flower, on
David Scherberich's web site:

Looking at Tom Croat & Richard Sheffer's  'The Sectional Groupings of
Anthurium (Araceae)' on the IAS website
(http://www.aroid.org/genera/Anthurium/anthsections.html),  A.
polyschistum is classified in section Dactylophyllium, which contains
other species with palmately compound leaves such as A. pentaphyllum and
A. clavigerum.

Incidentally, out of curiosity I also looked up A. polyschistum in
Missouri Bot. Garden's W3Tropicos database
(http://mobot.mobot.org/W3T/Search/vast.html) - a good online resource
with records for many herbarium specimens of aroids from tropical
America, and also quite a few photos of the plants in habitat. A number
of collections of A. polyschistum are listed from Napo in Ecuador; it's
also known from Amazonian Colombia, Loreto in Peru and Acre in N.W.

Hope this is useful.

Eugene Hoh
Sydney, Australia