Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] From Peru
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:04:16 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Piabinha@aol.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 2:53 PM

Of course you are correct, Tsuh Yang,  I was having a 'senior' or just 'too
tired' moment.   My friend in Guatemala reminded me that the ocellated
turkey has an extremely limited range in Cen. America as far South as
Guatemala and Belize.   Costa Rica is much further South.  I corrected
myself yesterday on this L. Sorry!
Nice names!  In Tobago the rufous-tailed guans are 'co-cri-co', in Trinidad
the blue-throated piping guan (almost extinct from hunting) is a 'pawi'.
The native names I love are for the jungle rodents in E. Ecuador, from
largest to smallest are--'capiwara'=capybara, 'guanta'=paca,
'guatusa'=agouti, and 'guatin'= acouchi!!   Music to MY ears!
Has your Ulearum recovered??

>>julius, i don't think turkeys, ocellated or not, occur that far south
(costa rica).  i think they don't occur south of guatemala and mexico.

in brazil, the big "curassows" are known as mutum (mutuns, plural) and the
smaller "guans" are jacu.

tsuh yang CHEN in nyc