Re: [aroid-l] polyschistum / polystichum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] polyschistum / polystichum
  • From: "Eugene Hoh" hohe@symphony.net.au
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:48:26 +1000

hi tsuh yang,

as far as I know , it really is  'polyschistum'...  I'm guessing (via a
dictionary - I'm not a classical scholar) that the name comes from
classical Greek  'polu-' (many) and 'skhistos' (divided), perhaps
referring to the divided leaves.

Meanwhile there is also Polystichum, the genus name of the shield fern /
Christmas fern which you might be familiar with? (I once grew, and
killed, one of those - about the same time as I did the same to the poor
Anth. polyschistum.)

cheers
Eugene

Eugene Hoh