Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus [bulbifer q.#2: seeds/weeds?]

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus [bulbifer q.#2: seeds/weeds?]
  • From: Eugene Hoh hohe@symphony.net.au
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:38:05 +1000

Dear All,

just thought I'd add that one of my A. bulbifer is now in ripe fruit - I should have a few seeds and bulbils to spare.  Would anyone (in Australia only) like any (for free or to swap)? If so, please email me (not aroid-L!) at hohe@symphony.net.au.

My clone has the (common?) large lichen-like blotches on blackish petioles/peduncle, and is similar to the one pictured at the top of the page :

A caution, though: I would really think twice about planting it near bushland (esp. in warm areas with wet summers) as those bulbils/berries look like they could start an invasion in the right conditions... Does anyone know if A. bulbifer has actually become an environmental weed problem anywhere?

* * *

Eugene Hoh,
Sydney, Australia