Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus
  • From: Al Wootten awootten@nrao.edu
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:12:59 -0400

Hmmmm dimethyl disulfide CH 3 SSCH 3 only has ten atoms which would make it a
candidate for detection in interstellar space, a safe distance for sensitive
nostrils.  CH 3 SH Methyl mercaptan has been known for years there.  I'll have
to check on the spectrum when our local microwave spectrum guru Barry Turner
returns--looks pretty symmetric bad for rotational transitions) but big
enough for some floppiness.

Couldn't find an online sprectral treatment but...
In Ontario at least, growing too many blooming amorphophalli
may be illegal (though I don't know how many might produce 40 micrograms
of dimethyl disulfide...):

Environmental Protection Act
Loi sur la protection de l'environnement
Revised Regulations of Ontario, R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 346
Amended to O. Reg. 342/01
GENERAL - AIR POLLUTION
27.
Dimethyl Disulphide

Micrograms of dimethyl disulphide per cubic metre of air

40

28.

Dimethyl Sulphide

Micrograms of dimethyl sulphide per cubic metre of air

30

Clear skies,
Al