Re: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?
  • From: MossyTrail@cs.com
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:12:42 -0400

"BambooChik" <bamboochik@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hello Leslie...I don't think the heat will be a problem. I think your
>problem will be lack of humidity.

Finally, someone said it: "It's not the heat, it's the lack of humidity!"

I always did think that "dry heat" nonsense was ridiculous; I find that dry heat affects me worse, because it sucks the moisture out of me.  Give me the humid kind!!  As for aroids, I concur -- unless they are naturally desert species, the dryness will probably be the biggest threat to them.  There are reasons why desert plants have waxy coatings, reduced or absent leaves, etc.  The misting system will probably work, but will also probably be expensive in water bills.  Definitely go with the shade!

Jason Hernandez