Re: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?
  • From: Leslie Georgeson skinnychick2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:45:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bob,
The plants I would like to bring outdoors include Alocasia macrrorhiza, odora, fallax, portei, zebrina reticulata, and frydek; Colocasia gigantea, illustris, black magic, red stem, and nancy's revenge; and Xanthosoma robustum.  They will be under a covered patio for most of the day, but then the sun comes around in the afternoon, so I may try to shade them with my palm trees or bananas. I'm also going to put in a misting system to see if that helps.  Any other info you can offer in terms of growing the above species outdoors in Tucson's dry heat would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Bob Bob <metopium@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Leslie,

I'm also from Tucson.
maybe I can help.
Some aroids do well, others ehh!

You can call me in the evenings at 325-4220

>From: Leslie Georgeson
>To: aroiders , Peter Boyce
>Subject: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?
>Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:33:10 -0700 (PDT)
>Hello fellow aroiders,
>We recently relocated to Tucson, Arizona where it's not uncommon for the
>temperatures to rise into the triple digits during the summer months (which
>is pretty hot, considering we just moved from northern Idaho, where the
>snow drifts can reach over 12 feet high).
>At any rate, I had to transport my horde of plants with me and am now
>wondering how they will fair in this heat. My aroids include Alocasias,
>Colocasias, and Xanthosomas that I fear will simply melt away at these
>temperatures. Any suggestions or expert advice how I can keep my
>"beauties" alive? Right now I've got them all inside, except for a
>Colocasia gigantea, which is under the sheltered patio with my Abyssinian
>bananas and palm trees. This Colocasia will be my tester plant to see how
>it fairs. If it does well, I may bring out a few others, but I'm a bit
>leery about how they will do in 100+ temperatures, even in the shade.
>Any advice on growing these plants in high temperatures will be greatly
>Thank you.
>Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?