Re: [aroid-l] status of Aroid-l

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] status of Aroid-l
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:20:48 +1000

At 09:54  19/08/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Several folks have contacted me directly with concerns of Aroid-l,
>especially over the last few days with the spread of recent viruses.

Howdy All,

Remember as well that now-a-days viruses often borrow their "source"
address from an email in the infected machines email system, so the virus
is apparently sent by someone completely different.  I have received things
back that could be delivered which I supposedly had sent..... obviously in
that case someone had received an email either privately or to a group and
the virus had picked my address up from that email and made it look like I
was the source of the email.

All this means that you can virtually ignore the email address that the
virus was supposedly from.  It MIGHT be the correct address and have
originated from them, but it may also have been a substitute address and be
from someone else completely.

Of course this means it is absolute HELL to sort out who it actually DID
come from.  A general rule of thumb is to NOT OPEN ANY UNEXPECTED
ATTACHEMENTS, even if they are from your best friend.  This goes double for
any email that just contains a basic line like "See attachment" or
something like that as it will almost certainly be a virus.  Also any .exe,
.bat, .pik, .scr etc files are suspect, and anything that has a 3 part name
instead of the normal 2 part name.

I hope this is of some help to people and may lay their minds to rest a
little over the source of the virus being aroid-l.  There really is NO way
to know.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Oxalis, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about
anything else that doesn't move!!!!!