[aroid-l] Oceania

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Oceania
  • From: MossyTrail@cs.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:11:15 -0400

I will soon be relocating to Hawaii.  Obviously, there are many tropical aroids in cultivation there, but I have found it difficult to find information on what, if any, native species are present.  Of course, I would expect to see wild populations of taro, since that has been in the islands from prehistoric times, and possibly native species of Schismatoglottis or Epipremnum, though I am not certain -- the islands are quite far from the Asian centres of these genera.

Also, are there any good sources on the Araceae (or overall native flora) of Oceania in general, or of Micronesia (Caroline Islands) in particular?  I am in process of planning an expedition there.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large