Re: [aroid-l] Oceania

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Oceania
  • From: "Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden" htbg@ilhawaii.net
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:24:41 -1000

Dear Jason,

There are no members of the Araceae native to the Hawaiian Islands.  Being
the most physically isolated archipelago in the world, natural introductions
here were rare... averaging perhaps one every 60,000 years... leading to
amazing adaptive radiation of those species that did arrive.

Nevertheless, many aroids are cultivated here and many have naturalized.

Welcome to Hawaii!

Scott A. Lucas
Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 80