[aroid-l] Montrichardia linifera seedlings.

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Montrichardia linifera seedlings.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:32:29 -0400
  • Seal-send-time: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:32:33 -0400

Dear Friends,

Just a note to share w/ all of you a NICE experience I had today.   Several years ago ( 8? ) I gave some seeds of one of the 'giant' aroids, Montrichardia linifera collected by my brother in Nariva swamp on the E. coast on the Island of Trinidad, W.I., my homeland, to a very good friend who owns Mesozoic Landscaping in Lantana, S. Florida.    He has the most wonderful selection of tropical and especially Florida Native plants growing on his property, and I take great pleasure in his company and his plants whenever I have cause to visit his nursery, usually to purchase some of his rare plants unique to his nursery for installation in many DOT landscaping jobs which I do for the Co. by which I am presently  employed .   Today I had cause to visit him to purchase a form of cocoplum (Chrysobalanus icaco), the 'Hobe sound dwarf horizontal', and to once again admire an amazing group of giant Moriche palms (Northern S. America and Trinidad, W.I.) that he has grown to over 30' tall in a pond/swamp, with the now-adult Montrichardia linifera plants planted close by.   He had mentioned that the Montrichardia had bloomed last summer, and today he surprised me by showing me the first seedlings that as far as I know  have been grown from seed produced in the USA!    He did not mention wanting to sell them, but anyone interested in purchasing one or two of these seedlings (they will grow to 10 ft. +, and make a FANTASTIC swamp display in a larger indoor botanical garden setting) could drop Richard a line and enquire at-
>moyroud@prodigy.net<

Julius Boos
WPB,
Florida.