[aroid-l] IAS Members Update

  • Subject: [aroid-l] IAS Members Update
  • From: <amh@ieee.org>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:29:27 -0700

Hi again folks,

It's been a while since I've put out one of these updates, so here again is some news for members of the International Aroid Society.

Those of you who are not members, or those of you who are wondering what the society does, please get over to http://www.aroid.org/ and educate/sign yourselves up.

In an attempt to improve communication with the membership, I have been writing periodic updates such as this one with information for members of the IAS regarding the status of various projects, the publications and available membership services.

** The big news is, of course, the annual show and sale in Miami. Ron Gagliardo of the Atlanta Botanical Garden will be speaking on "Cloud Forest Aroids at the Fuqua Orchid Center" this year, and we should have a presentation by Marcela Mora, who has been selected as the recipient of the 2004 Monroe Birdsey Memorial Award. We hope to have internet participation in the auction again as well - more information on that is to come. The show is on September 18th and 19th, at the Fairchild Tropical Garden in Miami, FL. A ton of additional information is available on the IAS website at http://www.aroid.org/

** If you would like to help out with the show this year, we are in need of all manner of volunteers. Please contact Tricia Frank ( tricia_frank@hotmail.com ) to volunteer your time.

** Aroideana - Through the extraordinary efforts of Derek Burch, our esteemed editor, Aroideana is out early this year. If it's not already in your hands ( as it should be for all members in the United States by now ), it should reach you shortly. The deadline for articles in the next issue is set at Jan 15th 2005. Even though it seems really early, please get your article submissions in for the next edition. Derek Burch remains available to help with ghostwriting and editing if you have an idea for an article.

** Thanks to everyone who has paid their dues this year. You will notice that a renewal envelope has been included in your new issue of Aroideana - please make use of it. Although your membership is for the full calendar year, renewing now will save you some time during the busy holiday season. You are helping your society to support aroid research and horticulture through our publications, encourage young aroid researchers through our awards, and educate the public through our website and events. We cannot continue this work without the support of our members - your $25 not only contributes to all these causes, but also gets you newsletters, our journal, and access to additional publications on the website. Please encourage your friends to join us today so that we can better serve the aroid community. Registration is available online, and credit cards are accepted through paypal at http://www.aroid.org/

** Subscription problems - if you have not received your newsletter or Aroideana on time, we apologize in advance. Please contact myself ( amh@ieee.org ) or our membership chair Paul Resslar ( presslar@vwc.edu ) and let us know - we will do our best to find the problem and get you taken care of. Every quarter, there are a few issues which go missing, and some people have problems with address changes and membership requests which get lost in processing. In the past year, Paul's efforts at cleaning up our membership database have made the process smoother than in years past, but we still make mistakes, and we need to know if you are having problems.

** There is a membership directory database available in the member's area of www.aroid.org . Some members have requested a printed directory be published as well, and we still have copies available. If you would like a free copy mailed to you, please let me know by e-mail and I will send one your way.

** You may have noticed some changes in performance of the www.aroid.org website recently. We have switched service providers in order to get a better value for our money. During the switching process, some parts of the website may have stopped working - if you notice any problems, please let Scott Hyndman ( hyndman@aroid.org ) know. We'll try to get them fixed.

Please remember - replying to this message directly will get it sent back to Aroid-L, not to me or the board member of your choice.