Re: [aroid-l] titanum corm storage

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] titanum corm storage
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <peterboyce@myjaring.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:06:36 +0800

Hi Dan

We gow all our Bornean Amorphs in a 1:1:1 coconut peat (granular,
non-composted): washed river sand: crushed charcoal (2 cm max) mix in
plastic pots in a shade house not protected from theb rain. Watering is by
rotating sprinkler (20 litres/min per sprinker head) and they are fed
10:10:10 + microelements one a week. The plants are never allowed to dry out
although we cut back slightly on watering when they are dormant. However, in
our experience they are never dormant for long (max. 4 weeks) and very
frequently are thowing a new leaf even before the old leaf is showing signs
of senescence. Some of the species such as A. angulatus and A. pendulus
produce up to 5 new leaves a year. If all this sounds too good to be true
it's important to remember that the temperatures here are pretty constant
year-round (min. 22 C (71 F), max. 35 C (95 F)) and that the nursery
receives c. 5 m rain per annum. In addition being nearly on the equator are
daylight/night darkness is 12:12 per 24 hour cycle; thus the plants don't
experience long periods of cold, grey long-darkness winter days when the day
time air temperature is kept at the bare nighttime minimum. Under these
conditions the plants would need to be grown drier but even then I'd not
recommend drying out any of the Amorphs from ever-wet habitats.

Very best wishes

Pete