[aroid-l] Chubas and the Aroid Cookbook

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Chubas and the Aroid Cookbook
  • From: Rosalind <rozgold@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:49:13 -0700

Julius and friends:

I think it would be great for folks to re-publish the edible aroid
recipes - this whole discussion has made me both hungry and curious -
for example, do Xanthosoma "Chubas" mash as well as the taro used in
Asian cooking?  Do they have a distinctive flavor in stews, or do they
just do a good job of soaking up whatever sauce/broth they're in?   I
just had some delicious duck, chopped into bite-size pieces, coated in
taro, and deep-fried at a Hong-Kong style Chinese restaurant in the San
Gabriel Valley this weekend -  and it was great to see how many other
dishes were offered that used taro as an ingredient.

Also, Julius, off-topic, do you know if there's any place in the United
States that sells Diet Mauby Fizz?  I got seriously addicted to the soda
when I was vacationing in Trinidad a few years ago, and I've never been
able to find it any place else.

-Roz, in Southern California