Re: [aroid-l] Credentials Required for Describing Aroids

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Credentials Required for Describing Aroids
  • From: George Yao <gcyao@mydestiny.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:25:01 +0800

Thank you very much, Peter, Alistair and Julius. I will forward your advices to my friend and see what he decides to do after he comes back October from his trip abroad. He did mention having prepared herbarium specimens, so I'm sure he was serious.

Julius, the Caladium picturatum grew very well initially and was the envy of my guests whenever they saw it. After a two months trip to the USA, I came back to find the leaves gone. A few days ago, a small leaf emerged so it is still alive, to my relieve. I'm still undecided what to do.

George Yao

At 8/23/2004 08:40 PM, you wrote:

>From: "Alistair Hay" <ajmhay@hotmail.com>
>To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Credentials Required for Describing Aroids
>Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:44:37 +1000

Hello George!

How goes the Caladium picturatum??

To add my 'two cents' as an 'aroid layman' to the GOOD advice both Pete and Alistair have given, the most difficult thing that a lay-person will need to do in researching a possible new species of plant, is to locate and read EVERYTHING ever published on the genus that the plant he will be describing as the new species belongs to, and to get to examine at least a paratype specimen of all the species described by all authors that are assigned to that particular genus. This is NOT an easy task for most genera, especially those with many species. Some localized genera with only a few described species which may have been done by only one or a few authors, and whose type/paratypes may be in several herbariums MAY be a bit easier. One does NOT want to describe as being new a plant that has been already described years before by someone else, it does happen but one wants to avoid this! Alistair`s advice! to have the current expert on the genus involved is GOOD advice, your friend may be granted senior authorship depending on the amount of work/effort he may put into the work involved in describing it, and also depending on WHO the present expert on the genus may be! You can see examples of joint efforts by an expert (Dr. Croat) and students being joint authors in the latest Aroideana.

Good luck,