[Aroid-l] A. titanum to bloom in Cambridge, U. K.

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] A. titanum to bloom in Cambridge, U. K.
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@cv.nrao.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:24:27 -0400

An astronomer friend writes from the Cavendish Laboratory:

I notice we seem to have an amorphophallus flowering in Cambridge next
week! Thought you might be interested.  I haven't been along yet, but I
will try to see the flowering next week - they say Sept 1 or 2.

http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/amorpho1.html

One bloomed recently of the two at Virginia Tech.  I saw an
article in the newspaper on the evening of 4 August.  It opened that
night at 10pm.  The next morning I skipped the ALMA Board Telecon
(living dangerously) to drive the 3 hours down there.  It was already
closing up and the famous odor barely detectable at 2pm but it was the
thrill of the month by far.

You can see me and the strange flower at:
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/AmorphophallustitanumVT.htm
note the little window carved into the base to access the pollen.

Clear skies,
Al