RE: [Aroid-l] Invasive plants

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Invasive plants
  • From: Floral Architecture <floralartistry2000@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

There is one drawback to that theory. What is invasive
in Fl may not be invasive in CA or OH. One example is
chives. They seem innocent enough. Right? Well, those
little *#$&*& are all over the place at my uncle's
house in OH. I have garlic and regular chives. Both
have reseeded into every nook and cranny they can. But
here in CA. I can barely get the harvested seeds to
sprout and continue growing.
But, I am straying here.
I agree that invasive species should not be imported
but, who can we trust to say that they are invasive?
They have to be here to be able to prove their
I saw a slide program on Oxalis years ago by Michael
Vassar of the Huntington. He showed a slide of a
gorgeous, miniature yellow Oxalis. Everyone wanted
one. Well, he took great pride in telling us we
already owned it. It is the one that every gardener
pulls out of the pots (or greenhouse) every month.
This little miniature Oxalis is rare in the wild and
has problems reseeding. Also, it's native habitat is
being destroyed.
So, who says it is invasive?? The country that it
comes from or those here who already have a problem?
Granted there are some that have already proven
themselves, Phragmites, Purple Loosestrife, Pampas
grass, Pistia, Brazilian peppertrees, Canada Thistle
(don't even get me started on that one) and so on and
so forth.
But, who is responsible for the closure on the page of
Kudzu harvesting?
I'm just waiting for the day that the government says
that Am. titanum is a noxious weed and seeds cannot be
imported. Or that Spathaphyllum are noxious and must
be pulled from all the malls across America because
they pose a threat.
I am all for increasing native plant production. There
are incredible species and varieties that are
available. But, if we were not allowed the possibility
of growing imported plants we have a serious problem.
You would loose a lot of food. Just a few examples
would be tomatoes, potatoes, celery, peppers, squash,
most grains, most fruits and vegatibles, and so on,
and so on, and so on.

John Ingram in L.A., CA.
www.floralarchitecture.com check it out
310.709.1613 (cell, west coast time, please call accordingly. Thank you)
Aroid-l mailing list