[Aroid-l] Alocasia Crassifolia ?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Crassifolia ?
  • From: "hanson, skip" shanson@emc.com
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:41:01 -0400

All,
  Hello. I have been having trouble getting Alocasia Crassifolia
to grow well here in Northern CA. I them in a small greenhouse
but once the plants go dormant in the Winter they never re-emerge
in the Spring ? The bulbs are not soft or rotten, they just sit
there and do nothing. I have removed them to discover several small
bulbils on the underside of the main bulb, that is the only evidence
of growth. I really like this plant and was wondering if they require
any special care that I am obviously not giving them ? Do they
require more/less heat, humidity etc. ? I live on the coast and it
is fairly cool and foggy in the Summers.

Thanks,
Skip