Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid hardiness
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:01:13 -0400

We have not updated the aroid hardiness list in a while, although we have added data that been sent over the last few years.  Now is a good time for a new round of updates.  You can find the current aroid hardiness list at http://www.aroid.org/horticulture/hardy.html

We would appreciate everyone who has input to send it to our research horticulturist Lynn Butler at lynn@plantdelights.com.  Once will have compiled the additions, we will have the new list posted on the aroid-l website.

We would like your comments on winter hardiness observations for these and any other aroid species.  We only need information that extends the cold tolerance of a species.  For the data to be useful, we require actual air temperature data that the plants survived without benefit of snow cover.   Please understand that some Zone 8 plants can survive in Zone 3 if the snow cover comes early enough, so these results are skewed as they relate to the plants true ability to withstand cold.  Thanks and we look forward to your information.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Agoston Janos wrote:
Dear Aroiders,
Who is collecting the informations about Aroid hardyness, plese?
Typhonium (syn. Sauromatum) venosum has survived -18°C cold this winter in my garden. It was planted in sand. Most of the small tubers grown on the mother and the mother tuber have been frozen, but one little tuber has survived.
Formerly I forgot to collect them some years ago and it also survived in clay, but the biggest cold was not measured there (because I forgot...)