Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid hardiness
  • From: "David S." maui4me@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 00:59:09 -0400

Typhonium venosum/voodoo lily, or what ever it's currently being called
these days is very hardy as long as the tuber itself doesn't get frozen.
This directly correlates as to the depth that it's planted.  This same rule
applies to the tuberous members of Zantedeschia.   Both hate clay soils
which are prevalent in The South.  I would recommend that these tubers be
planted/covered at least 4"-6" deep in any zones colder than zone 8.  They
really don't like hot soil and might be late coming up in cooler zones but
this will ensure that they winter over successfully if you forget to apply a
generous mulch.  It's worked for me for many years.  BTW, cannas are quite
reliable in zone 6a, even without a mulch.  Perhaps the guides for hardiness
should be re-written.

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN 37660
Zone 6a and rising
Known as Tarzan, lord of my jungle to the young folks that listen to my
son's band at:
http://www.myspace.com/speakoftheend