[Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber growth without leaf?

Aroiders,

in an austrian forum there was the observation reported that an
Amorphophallus tuber grows before it sends up a leave.

Has anyone made a similar observation and has an explanation for this?

The only points I can imagine is an increase of weight and volume by
water uptake before the leaf grows or a conversion of starch into sugar,
although I doubt that the latter increases weight and volume of an
tuber.

Looking forward to further comments....

Good growing,
Bernhard.