RE: [Aroid-l] Cleaning Arum seed

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Cleaning Arum seed
  • From: "Tom Croat" Thomas.Croat@mobot.org
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:04:05 -0500

Dear Al:

	I treat all aroid seeds the same way. Macerate them in a
screened sieve, pass water through the sieve until much of the mesocarp,
the sugars pass through, chuck the contents in a fruit jar and shake
vigorously then decant the debris.  Since the seeds are typicall heavier
than the rest they sink to the bottom.  If you do this several times you
come up with a fairly clean batch of seeds.  Some times toward the end I
slap the lot onto a large piece of newspaper and simply pick out the
troublesome bits.

	Are you really living in Chile?  It is strange since this is the
only country in Latin America with no native aroids.  I am curious,
nevertheless, if there are lots of aroids in cultivation there.

Tom