RE: RE: [Aroid-l] Wild Titan's ?/YES

  • Subject: RE: RE: [Aroid-l] Wild Titan's ?/YES
  • From: "Horak, David" davidhorak@bbg.org
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:49:16 -0400

Title: Message
This posed an interesting question for us here at the Garden. Normally our collections policy is based on institutional distributions. The complexities of international treaties, their interpretation and public opinion mean that institutions often need to be conservative in their actions. While this can mean that distributions of seed, plants (including excess plants and divisions) or plant parts may not be available to  those who might be efficacious at contributing to real meaningful conservation efforts-the serious hobbyists-this is not uniform in the botanic garden world, but I suspect that it might get more so with time. It is probably axiomatic that the more threatened a species is, the more difficulties there will be in trying to save it.
In this instance though, we did save pollen from the recent blooming of our A. titanum and because of its relatively short viability, are willing to possibly make it available to both institutions and the serious hobbyist. Of course this will be on a case-by-case basis, but please, anyone serious, dedicated and fortunate enough to be able to bloom one should contact us.
Dave Horak