Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 6:21 AM
Subject: [Aroid-l] Dormancy issues with Amorph's

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for those of us who grow Amorphophallus in colder climates like the UK without greenhouses.

Its the flowering of A. bulbifer, in particular, that causes issues - the new leaf starts growing late in the autumn after it's flowered in the spring; there's no hope for it, and this makes its next years growth a bit puny.

I don't mind loosing the flowers - i like the big fat stems and leaves.

Does de-flowering help (!)?....

Cheers for any ideas,

Clive Lundquist

PS i have some fresh seed of Arum palaestinum if anybody wants - mail me privately if you'd like it. I can't guarantee its viable though as it wasn't pollinated... but it looks ok.

Got a favourite clothes shop, bar or restaurant? Share your local knowledge with BackOfMyHand.com