Re: [Aroid-l] Brazil seedling pics

Dear Philodendron enthusiasts,

Aloha.  I have been seeing a great deal of hybrids
that originate out of Brazilian ex-situ collections.
I suspect that because they still have native
pollinators, these collections will probably hybridize
in a promiscuous fashion with a whole range of
variation of whatever is around and compatible
genetically.  Unless great care is exercised during
pollination, hybrids in these collection may be
expected.  I have seen a Philodendron adamantinum
photo in Roberto Burle-Marx's collection that is a
possible hybrid...if one did not know the species
variations, this could be passed as a pure species.
It remains beautiful, but it would differ from a
vegetative propagation of the described species.  This
is just one example...