[Aroid-l] Fw: Philodendron melinonii

Got this note from Michael Mahan.  I sent him the response thinking he had sent it through Aroid l.  So I'm sending it to everyone since some may find Leland's information useful.

Steve Lucas

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron melinonii

Nice try Michael!  Once it gets big enough to divide I'm sure I can find you one!  But I don't get the point of your attached Anthurium photos!

I did receive this email directly from Leland Miyano in Hawaii.  He was able to provide a great deal of the information I've been looking to find, but I'd still enjoy hearing anything more.  This is what Leland had to say,

Aloha.  I grow a good number of these plants and the
following will give you a better idea of the
appearance and my cultural practices.

Philodendron melinonii is common in the Manaus area of
Brazil....Roberto had several expeditions to the
Amazon and my plants are from his collections.  I have
seen slight variations regarding the color of the
petioles, but am unsure if this is a genetic or
cultural trait in all instances.  I have the typical
reddish petiole form but in shade, these will be
green.

Regarding ultimate size, my plants have petioles about
28 inches long.  The leaf blades are also about 28
inches long by about 20 inches wide.
A large plant can be about 8 feet in diameter...larger
if a cluster of plants is grown as they pup regularly
in bright light.  I grow them as both epiphytes and
terrestrials, although the normal condition in habitat
is as epiphytes.  The stems are covered with a dense
fiber, and to separate pups is usually best done while
the plants are small...one must dig down through this
fiber to find the point of origin of the pups.
Culturally, this plant is easy as long as the light
levels are not too low.  Large plants can easily weigh
75 pounds or more, but the rosettes are compact and
the plants are well worth the space.  Growth rate is
moderate in strong, but not burning sun.  The petioles
get a deeper color as the light levels increase.

Aloha,

Leland

Please allow me to encourage all of you to come to the Aroid Show in Miami, if for no other reason to meet and talk with Leland.  He has one great aroid mind and something tells me we are all going to learn a lot by having him around for a few days!

Steve Lucas