Re: [Aroid-l] Philo melinonii

Dear Brian,

Aloha.  Philodendron melinonii changes appearance as
it matures.  The leaf blades and petioles can be quite
reddish in bright light as immature plants.  The leaf
tips can be rounded or very acuminate depending on
age.  The abaxial or lower surface veins should be
prominent and become more prominent with age.  The
leaf blades lose the reddish tint on the lower surface
with maturity.  The petioles are usually very
succulent in appearance as small juveniles such as
Steve illustrated.  At your stage they elongate...and
with maturity, they have a sulcate adaxial channel so
they appear D shaped...with the flat side up.  There
should be scattered dark spots on the petiole and leaf
blades, which become more pronounced with
maturity...as very young plants this feature may or
may not be present...but your plant should be
exhibiting them.  The fibrous covering should evident
soon...as mature plants this fiber is very dense and
covers a thick stem...but the persistent fiber makes
the stem appear much larger.