[Aroid-l] Syngonium

Today I discovered that Syngonium podophyllum in Hawaii does
at least occasionally set fruit.  I found one single, fallen
infructescence in Moanalua Valley, the only aroids present
beong Syngonium.  Peeling back the spathe base, I found
juicy white pulp encasing black seeds.  I tasted it, it was
sweet.  I was careful not to swallow any of the seeds (not
knowing whether they are okay); but I must have contacted
some of the calcuim oxalate, because in one corner of my
mouth, I did feel the burn for about half an hour.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-L mailing list