Philodendron cordatum

  • Subject: Philodendron cordatum
  • From: "criswick" <criswick@spiceisle.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:02:08 -0400

I have a Philodendron for so many years I can’t remember where I got it from. I have assumed it to be the same as the plant illustrated in Exotica under the name ‘Angra dos Reis”, a south Brazilian species.  This plant is now thought to be identical to Philodendron cordatum.

‘Angra dos Reis’ means ‘King’s Cove’ in Portuguese and is the name of a coastal town southwest of Rio de Janeiro.

Unlike the specimens belonging to Steve and Brian (see Steve’s page on P. cordatum)  http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20cordatum%20pc.html , mine has red spots on the centre vein of the upper surface of the leaf.  Mine has yet to develop 100% adult form, because it has lain neglected in a pot for decades. This is no longer the case !

Please see attached pictures.

John.