Re: Philodendron cordatum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron cordatum
  • From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz@jbrj.gov.br>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:26:49 -0300

Dear John,

This species is certainly P. cordatum. The name Angra dos Reis refers to the city that is in the southern coastal state of Rio de Janeiro, where the species is very common.

Best wishes,

> I have a Philodendron for so many years I can?t remember where I got it from. I have assumed it to be the same as the plant illustrated in Exotica under the name ?Angra dos Reis?, a south Brazilian species.  This plant is now thought to be identical to Philodendron cordatum.

> ?Angra dos Reis? means ?King?s Cove? in Portuguese and is the name of a coastal town southwest of Rio de Janeiro.

> Unlike the specimens belonging to Steve and Brian (see Steve?s page on P. cordatum)  http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20cordatum%20pc.html , mine has red spots on the centre vein of the upper surface of the leaf.  Mine has yet to develop 100% adult form, because it has lain neglected in a pot for decades. This is no longer the case !

> Please see attached pictures.

> John.

Marcus A. Nadruz Coelho
Pesquisador Titular III
Diretoria de Pesquisas
Instituto de Pesquisas Jardim Botanico do Rio de
21 32042144

Aroid-L mailing list