Re: Odd Colocasia mutation dissected

  • Subject: Re: Odd Colocasia mutation dissected
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:42:57 +0000

> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:47:01 -0400
> From: pugturd@alltel.net
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Odd Colocasia mutation dissected

Dear Brian,

Most interesting (at least to me it is!)
Maybe bring an entire petiole cut off as close to the ground as possible and preserved in alcohol with you to the I. A. S. show and sale at Fairchild in Sept. and we could take a look at it?
It may be one of those strange mutations caused by who-knows-what, Colocasia and Xanthosoma are or seem to be VERY prone to them, as I have detailed MANY times on this list.   What is the origin of this plant, was it per chance from a tissue cultured source?   We KNOW that this frequently this process seems to cause severe mutations in aroids, such as the production of double spadices, spathes, leaves with two blades at the end of one petiole, etc.
Good Luck,

Julius