Re: Ficus identification

  • Subject: Re: Ficus identification
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:41:17 +0000

> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:16:35 -0500
> From: s-banister@tamu.edu
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Ficus identification
Dear Sharon,

I am by no means an expert on the genus Ficus, but this to me looks like a seedling of the common Ficus ''nitida''.   It is, I am told, originally from India, and was not SUPPOSED to be sexually fertile in America, as the pollinator (a micro-wasp) was assumed to be absent.   Well, somehow either THE wasp or another species was able to do the deed on this species, and so it fruits and seeds in abundance here in S. Florida, and in nurseries where plants are commonly stored or grown in the shade of these sometimes HUGE spreading trees, infestations of Ficus seedlings are common.

Good Growing,

>> I had recently submitted a request to see if anyone might know the identfication of a Ficus that germinated in a Lecanopteris plant.  Several people suggested sending a picture so I finally have that attached (hopefully).
> Any help would be appreciated in helping me identify this Ficus.
> Sharon Banister, Res. Asst.
> Greenhouse Manager
> Tx A&M University-Horticulture Dept.
> s-banister@tamu.edu