Re: RBGM Tropical House 'Virtual Tour'

  • Subject: Re: RBGM Tropical House 'Virtual Tour'
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:48:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jeremy,

Aloha and mahalo for the nice video tour. You have a good public presence.

I am amazed that all your plants sre in pots.  You did a good job of arranging them so it appears the plants are in beds.  You should contact Krohn Conservatory in my wife's hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.  It is a glasshouse...larger than yours, that has done a marvelous job of recreating an artificial tropical setting.  They have permanent raised beds, so the trees are large and there are mid and foreground plantings to complement their storyline of tropical diversity in a small space.

I enjoyed the video production as a geological and botanical timeline...I started my collection with cycads and,with Paul Weissich( Director Emeritus of Honolulu Botanical Gardens), I worked on the Prehistoric Glen at Foster Gardens in Honolulu.  Nice Ceratozamia...do you have both sexes?  I did not see many aroids, except Anthurium and maybe a Zamioculcas?  I know space is probably a premium in your glasshouse...but do you have a collection focus or mission?

Thank you again for allowing me a peek at RBG Melbourne's Tropical Glasshouse.  I am always curious to see how others grow their plants.