Re: Ficus identification

My experience with the native(?) strangler fig in the Keys would nix that ID.  the leave are laregerhave longer petioles and are wider throughout the length.  They do reseed on every rock and tree down there.

Stan in Ohio.

--- On Sat, 8/23/08, ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:
From: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Ficus identification
To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Date: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 12:07 PM

> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:51:55 -0500
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> From: jonathan.ertelt@vanderbilt.edu
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Ficus identification

Dear Jonathan and Sharon,

This swolen area at the base of the stem/upper area of the tap root occurs on
seedlings of Ficus "nitida".   I would think that most or ALL species
of Ficus can and would occur as ''strangler'' figs if they
germinate in a tree-hole, hence the swolen base.   This swollen root strorage
area also can be seen in seedling live oaks, at least in S. Florida

Good Growing,

Julius