Re: Ficus identification

  • Subject: Re: Ficus identification
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:07:19 +0000

> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:51:55 -0500
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> From: jonathan.ertelt@vanderbilt.edu
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Ficus identification
Dear Jonathan and Sharon,

This swolen area at the base of the stem/upper area of the tap root occurs on seedlings of Ficus "nitida".   I would think that most or ALL species of Ficus can and would occur as ''strangler'' figs if they germinate in a tree-hole, hence the swolen base.   This swollen root strorage area also can be seen in seedling live oaks, at least in S. Florida

Good Growing,