Re: Monstera fruits - when ripe?

  • Subject: Re: Monstera fruits - when ripe?
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 13:15:49 -0500

Steve, It has been our experience that Monstera deliciosa takes about 10 months to be ripe enough to eat.  We now have two spadices approaching maturity and my wife checks them almost daily.  They will soon end up in the kitchen and will be quickly devoured.  We watch for the surface of the spadix to begin to spread apart and also check the smell.  The color normally begins to turn yellow as well.  Be sure and do not eat the outer surface since the fruit is the second layer beneath the outer surface.

I've included a photo of one Janice ate last year!  I think I got one bite.

Steve Lucas

Steve Marak wrote:
Aroiders,

I thought this topic had been discussed before on Aroid-L, but I can't
find it - how long does it take Monstera fruits to ripen, and how does one
tell they are ripe?

Last year about this time, a Monstera cutting in the greenhouse (which
had, of course, gone through into the ground) began flowering. Two fruits
formed. I thought I remembered from that previous discussion that I can't
find that it takes quite some time for them to ripen, so I wasn't
concerned until I saw it flowering again the other day and realized it's a
year later.

Last year's fruits are indeed a bit softer, but in the way that wood is
softer than rock, not in a way that makes me think they're edible.

Thanks,

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com