Re: Monstera fruits - when ripe?

  • Subject: Re: Monstera fruits - when ripe?
  • From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:14:07 +0800

Steve, Tom, et al.,

I've been following this thread with much interest.

Here in Sarawak Monstera deliciosa fruits and sets viable seed regularly;
the main visitor (pollinator?) is a melolonthin scarab, tentatively
identified as Apogonia pygidialis Ritsema, which also visits numerous
indigenous aroids, notably Homalomena.

As Tom mentions, the infructescences of M. deliciosa take almost 12 months
to mature. Just prior to the stylar plates beginning to slough away, the
entire infructescence starts to produce a powerful odour reminiscent of
overripe pineapple.

Very best

Peter