From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com]
On Behalf Of Tony Avent
Sent: 10 August 2009 01:44
To: Aroid - L group
Subject: [Aroid-l] aroid hybrid

Has anyone had experiences with Pinellia hybridizing with Sauromatum?
I know all my taxonomist friends are either reaching for a stiff drink
or headache medicine at the thought of such a hybrid.  I'm not even sure
if this is even theoretically possible, but to be sure, we never let our
plants read genetics books.   Take a look at our hybrid of Pinellia
pedatisecta and Sauromatum venosum.  The height is 2' tall and, the
leaves are intermediate between the two parents.  The plant produces
sauromatum like speckled petioles, but with many emerging per corm
(sauromatum only produces one each) like the pinellia parent.  I missed
the flower this year, but will watch closer next year.  I'd like to hear
your thoughts.  http://www.plantdelights.com/gallery/Aroids

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three
times" - Avent

Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list