RIP my Titanums :(

  • Subject: RIP my Titanums :(
  • From: Neil Gordon <gneil23@yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:07:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

About 5 years ago I bought 3 Amorph Titanum seeds from someone on this list (whose name I can no longer remember)
I reported to you a few weeks ago that one of my bulbs had started to rot from the eye
, and did anyone know any survival tips.

Well, eventually the whole thing rotted and was useless. Now My other 2 bulbs have started to follow suit, It looks like the central bud has died off on these too, but its dry and only one of them looks like it had started to go bad. However on the bottom of these Ive had to cut away about the lower half of both of them, as they had started to rot from the bottom. They are now sitting out letting the cut surfaces dry.

They had all been sitting dormant for the last 3 - 5 months in soil which was not wet, maybe too dry, I hadnt watered the pots since dormancy, in fact Ive kept these in exactly the same conditions (I will admid here, not ideal) since I germinated them back in August 2004 and not had one single problem with them.

I have several questions at this point.

Firstly, can anyone remember who it was that was selling them? And if anyone else still on the list bought some, how did your plants fare?

Secondly, does anyone know how these plants cope with the loss of the eye stalk, are they known to produce replacement stems in adverse conditions.

Im a bit dissapointed that after 5 years, and growing these beauties from seed to over 5 inch tubers, all 3 of them decided to go belly up within a few weeks.

Looking at the price of some of the A Titanum tubers that went on ebay recently, I wont be able to replace them any time soon either!   :(

Ho hum.

Aroid-L mailing list