Found the Giant Belolonchium in the Wild!

  • Subject: Found the Giant Belolonchium in the Wild!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 07:26:08 -0500

Beth, since you and I have traded a lot of mail about this beautiful plant over the last year I am very excited you found it!  Congrats!!!

Please post all the photos you can once you get them!  And for any that didn't click on Beth's link do so!  The inflorescence and blades are wildly beautiful!

Steve Lucas

Elizabeth Campbell wrote:
Hi folks! A while back you may recall that we were discussing a giant-leaf Anthurium from Sec. Belolonchum from the Quito Botanical Gardens, which Dr. Croat identified as a new species. I was told to go out and find it in the wild. Well, after nearly a year of searching pretty much all of Ecuador, it was right under my nose on the other side of Rucu Pichincha! I've found seriously giant plants, about 15' tall with the trunks, growing on the margins of the Rio Nambillo. This plant produced leaves nearly 7' long by my estimate, and had a number of immature inflorescences on it. I was visiting friends and since I didn't expect anything exciting I didn't have my camera with me - so no new photos of the plants as yet. I'm returning to take a type specimen later this year, when some of the inflorescences will be ripe - this way I can also collect seed.

My previous photos of this giant NOID are at

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list