Found the Giant Belolonchium in the Wild!

  • Subject: Found the Giant Belolonchium in the Wild!
  • From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora@mail2designer.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 06:43:10 -0700

Hi folks! A while back you may recall that we were discussing a giant-leaf Anthurium from Sec. Belolonchum from the Quito Botanical Gardens, which Dr. Croat identified as a new species. I was told to go out and find it in the wild. Well, after nearly a year of searching pretty much all of Ecuador, it was right under my nose on the other side of Rucu Pichincha! I've found seriously giant plants, about 15' tall with the trunks, growing on the margins of the Rio Nambillo. This plant produced leaves nearly 7' long by my estimate, and had a number of immature inflorescences on it. I was visiting friends and since I didn't expect anything exciting I didn't have my camera with me - so no new photos of the plants as yet. I'm returning to take a type specimen later this year, when some of the inflorescences will be ripe - this way I can also collect seed.

My previous photos of this giant NOID are at
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/Unknown%20Anthurium/

Woohoo!

Beth