Re: Alocaisa gageana

Hi Christopher,

These trans-Himalayan large-leaved Alocasia are taxonomic beasts! I?ve
recently tackled the northern Thai species and this is the current status
for those that I investigated.

What you describe as gageana is almost certainly odora; also it is very
likely that gageana is a syn. of odora BUT the type (of gageana) is missing
(presumed desctroyed) from Berlin and Engler?s description is too incomplete
to pin the name.

What you have as odora (yellow spathe) is definitely A. navicularis.

Alocasia macrorrhizos is almost certainly OK, but spathe colour is very
variable, from white, pinkish, purplish, and ?yellow? (actually somewhat
cream).

All of these species produce pairs of inflorescences arising in the leaf
axil (actually terminal on a branching module and then displaced by a new
leaf and thus appearing axillary.

Other names for the transhimalaya in this ?macrorrhizos/odora? complex are:

Alocasia cadieri Chantrier, Rev. Hort. 26: 326 (1939)
Alocasia cochinchensis, Pierre ex Engl. & K.Krause Pflanzenr., IV, 23E: 103
(1920)
Alocasia decipiens Schott, Bonplandia (Hannover) 7: 28 (1859)
Alocasia decumbens Buchet, Bull. Mus. Natl. Hist. Nat., II, 11: 417 (1939)
Alocasia evrardii Gagnep., Fl. Indo-Chine 6: 1150  (1942)
Alocasia fallax Schott, Bonplandia (Hannover) 7: 28 (1859)
Alocasia fornicata (Roxb.) Schott, Oesterr. Bot. Wochenbl. 4: 410 (1854)
Alocasia grandis Clemenc., Rev. Hort. 1868: 380 (1868)
Alocasia grata Prain ex Engl. & Krause, Pflanzenr., IV, 23E: 93 (1920)
Alocasia hainanensis K.Krause, Pflanzenr., IV, 23E: 91 (1920)
Alocasia hainanica N.E.Br., J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 36: 183 (1903)
Alocasia lecomtei Engl., Pflanzenr., IV, 23E: 90 (1920)
Alocasia liervalii Hérincq, Hort. Franc.: 243 (1869)
Alocasia longifolia Engl. & K.Krause, Pflanzenr., IV, 23E: 103 (1920)
Alocasia montana (Roxb.) Schott, Oesterr. Bot. Wochenbl. 4: 410 (1854) -
almost certainly the correct name for A. hynosa
Alocasia putii Gagnep., Fl. Indo-Chine 6: 1150 (1942)
Alocasia tonkinensis Engl., Pflanzenr., IV, 23E: 91 (1920)

A LOT to do!

Alocasia robusta produces clusters of up to 20 inflorescences in the
?middle? of the plant, with the entire cluster then ?pierced? by the newly
emerging leaf, and is not part of the above complex, being closest to A.
puber, A. sarawakensis, etc.

Cheers

Peter