Re: aroid hybrid

  • Subject: Re: aroid hybrid
  • From: "Tony Avent" <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:26:38 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the comments on our possible hybrid.  As for juvenility, the
hybrid is over 4 years old...notice that it's already formed mature
We also have a block of 6 year old Sauromatum from seed and none ever
produced multiple petioles.  This plant popped up in our garden and was
not an intentional cross...wish I could take credit for the cross.  It is
large enough to have been flowering for at least two years, but there are
no sign of any nearby seedlings and with such a wide cross, I would
anticipate sterility.  It does not seem to flower through the summer as
does pinellia, so I'm assuming that it is a spring born flower...have
relocated it to a location where I won't miss it next year.  Since the
cross was closest to the pinellia parent, I would assume the pinellia to
be the maternal parent, making it a x Pinelamatum.  Now if we can make the
reciprocal cross, perhaps that could use x Sauronelia.

> Incredible!
> You've successfully made an intergeneric cross.
> Now let's think about the new genus name according to the botanical
> nomenclature.
> I suggest:
> × Sauronellia (if the genus Sauromatum will be back) or ×Typhonellia if
> venosum will stay in Typhonium.
> What do you think?
> Marek

Tony Avent
USDA Zone 7b, (0-10F winter, 90-100F Summer)
Plant Delights Nursery
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC  27603, USA
ph 919.772.4794
fx 919.772.4752

"I consider every plant hardy until I've killed it myself...at least three
times."  - Avent
Aroid-L mailing list