Re: Aroid l archive]

By the way, the reason I thought Marek Argent might be involved with the Aroid l archive is because the net address appears to be in Poland.

Steve Lucas

Steve Marak wrote:

The archives at Hort.net aren't maintained by anyone in the IAS or by me
as part of Aroid-L - as you know, Hort.net archives many botanical and
horticultural lists.

I don't know if they have some site policy on how long to keep mailing
list archives, but it's entirely possible that they only started archiving
Aroid-L in 1996. Remember that Aroid-L has been around since before there
was much of a World Wide Web (anyone else remember "gopher"?) and before
there were the sophisticated archiving options we take for granted now.
I'm a little surprised they have 13 years worth!

I have attempted to keep copies of all posts from the very beginning. I
say "attempted" because, although paranoia is a way of life and not an
illness when you work in IT and I normally keept at least 3 or 4 copies of
important files, that's a lot of disk failures ago, and some of the media
are pretty old and weren't all that reliable when they were new.

But I will see what I can find. It'll probably take a while, since I may
have to rent excavating equipment for all the old floppies and
magneto-optical disks and DAT tapes ...