Re: Philodendron crassinervium inflorescence

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron crassinervium inflorescence
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:47:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

I have taken another closer look at Marcus Nadruz's photos of Philodendron lanceolatum, and this also looks different to me from Philodendron crassinervium.  I am only relying on those small photos, so these may be artifacts of the photograph quality, but this is what I notice.  First of all, the inflorescence is not hooded or cucullate, as the original description mentions.  The color of the inflorescence differs, although, how taxonomically significant this is, varies.  Second, it appears that the primary lateral veins of the Philodendron lanceolatum are prominent.  Thirdly, and this is the difficult thing to confirm from a small image, is the petioles appear to be adaxially sulcate, with a sharp edge...this would make the petiole "C" shaped.  I could be wrong, but, this is what I am seeing.  If I am correct, perhaps Philodendron lanceolatum may be resurrected from synonymy from Philodendron crassinervium.  Remember, I do not have any specimens to directly observe, so some of these details may be optical illusions.