P. XANADU hybrids??

  • Subject: P. XANADU hybrids??
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:42:06 +0000

Dear Eric,

I would tend to doubt that any ''clones'' of P. xanadu are hybrids with P. bipinnatifidium, as they are such VERY different species, one to the other.
I urge you to read both articles on P. xanadu published in Aroideana, plus the article by Dr. Goncalves on P. bipinnatifidium and how that species differs from P. mello-barretoanum, (in fact read ALL the articles on ALL species of Meconostigma in Aroideana), they will give you a better understanding on how to tell one species of Meconostigma from the other.
P. xanadu has scarlet/purple spathes, and fewer and MUCH smaller blooms which are differently shaped to the HUGE ''plantain-shaped'' blooms of P. bipinn., different scars from the petioles on the rhizome, VERY different leaf blades, etc., etc.  IF there was a hybrid, one could expect to see a certain amount of ''mixing'' of these features, I have seen none so far.