Is it Philodendron cataniapoense?

  • Subject: Is it Philodendron cataniapoense?
  • From: "Lengyel Ferenc" <Ferenc.Lengyel@aok.pte.hu>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:41:20 +0200

Hello,
I have a Philodendron which I found to be similar to Philodendron cataniapoense, but I'm
not sure abouts its identity. How could I verify it? This plant is not a result of a botanical
collection, I found its parent in one of my workmate's office so it might never be determined
exactly. It was dying in a vase for a long time. It grew distorted leaves (unopened, curled,
yellow spotted, deformed) for some 2-3 years. I wanted to throw it out as I was afraid that it
has some virus in it. But now it seems to be all right. When surfing the Internet I met
Philodendron cataniapoense on aroidpictures.fr and I think that my plant looks quite like
that.
So my plant looks like this:
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814906.jpg#3

the leaves are tri-lobed, about 16cm (6.5 inch) long from the base of the blade to the tip of
the middle lobe and about 22cm (9 inch) wide from the tip of one lateral lobe to the tip of the
other one:
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814908.jpg#3

base of the blade looks like this (note that the leaves are really lobed, not compound) :
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814902.jpg#3
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814901.jpg#3

the petioles are striated:
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814910.jpg#3

the base of the petiole is slightly compressed:
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814903.jpg#3

new cataphylls have few (very few and tiny) extrafloral nectaries (on the cataphyll of the
freshest leave has two tiny drops of nectar right now):
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38815189.jpg#3

Cataphylls are deciduous, the stem has a diameter of about 11mm (little less then half an
inch).

Abaxial surface of the blade:
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814904.jpg#3
http://img0.tar.hu/lengyelf/img/38814905.jpg#3

So, any idea what it can be? I hope that it's not a cultivar or hybride...

Thanks for any info!
Ferenc Lengyel

P.S. for the moderator: If the too many links make my letter confusing then please return it
and I'll edit it.